Find out what’s new, what’s changed, or what’s stayed the same.
Welcome back! As the return to campus continues, below are some helpful faculty resources to help navigate the new normal of campus technology services and resources.
For new and returning faculty, please refer to these FAQs and resources for a smooth transition. Review these topics between now and the first day back in-person on campus to ensure a productive first day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Classrooms and Collaboration
- How should faculty prepare for a safe and seamless teaching and learning experience for all regardless of location?
- The safety of faculty and students during in-person classroom instruction continues to be a top priority at Northeastern. Faculty are encouraged to leverage university resources, including becoming comfortable with Northeaster’s learning management system (LMS), Canvas, to prepare for a safe and engaging experience for all. This comprehensive prepare for the classroom checklist provides both safety and teaching resources a seamless return to campus.
- What kind of audiovisual equipment and technology is available in the classrooms?
- NUflex classroom technology is available for instructor use in classrooms. The web-conferencing system supports teaching and learning, and supports digital flexibility through cameras, microphones, computers, a projection system, and integrated software.
- What support options are available to instructors in the classroom?
- For instructors on the Boston campus, email classroomITsupport@northeastern.edu for rapid dispatch to each classroom- be sure to include the building name and room number in the email subject line.
- Instructors in the global campus network can connect with technical staff by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Canvas phone and chat support is available 24/7, and additional information is available by clicking on ‘Help’ in the left navigation pane.
- What meeting resources area available through Microsoft Teams?
- Have support options changed on campus individuals?
- Walk up services for IT is back on onsite for any IT assistance needed. In addition, complete around-the-clock Northeastern tech support is still available for faculty, students, and staff. For technology questions or assistance, contact the Tech Service Portal 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via: chat, email, phone to find answers and explore services.
- For instructors on the Boston Campus, email classroomITsupport@northeastern.edu for rapid dispatch to each classroom- be sure to include the building name and room number in the email subject line. Global Campus Instructors can connect with technical staff by emailing email@example.com.
- The Northeastern Services Now Mobile App delivers Northeastern University’s Tech and Wellness Portal services and support resources in a mobile experience. Conveniently access technical, wellness, and other resources all in one location while on the go. Now Mobile is available for iOS and Android users.
- Should loaned university devices be returned?
- If equipment borrowed to work from home during the pandemic is no longer needed, please make arrangements to return it.
- Is hardware available to be leased on the Boston campus?
- Equipment continues to be available for lease on campus through Northeastern Locker and Vending Services.
- Have wireless and network connections changed or stayed the same on campus?
- There have been no changes to connectivity on campus.
- Will it be easy to start using printing services on campus again?
- There have been no changes to printing on campus.
- How are phone calls on campus made and received?
- Campus phone lines have migrated to Microsoft Teams Calls to make and receive calls at Northeastern. Desk phones and handsets were disconnected then recycled, and headsets provided to enhance the Calls features in Microsoft Teams.
- Will university numbers or extensions work in Microsoft Teams?
- Yes, existing university numbers and department users were migrated to Microsoft Teams Calls. To verify a phone number in Teams, select the Call button, and below the dial pad, the Teams calling number will be displayed.
- What if there is an emergency in a building or classroom?
- Teams calling supports all calls, including emergency calling. For emergencies, including Police and Medical, the Northeastern Police are available 24/7 by calling (617)373-3333. For Fire or any other emergencies, dial 911. Be sure to provide name and location to any emergency services. Blue Phones installed around campus will directly connect to Northeastern Police and Emergency Services.
- What is the process for phone numbers that were forwarded prior to going remote?
- For individuals not on Teams Calls, how does a department make a line request?
- Will the file storage process change while on campus?
- What is happening to the Q Drive?
- The Q drive has started a phased retirement. To prepare for this transition, faculty and staff and encouraged to transition files to SharePoint and OneDrive.
- What are the current Wellness Protocols to support returning to campus safely?
- Where do I go to schedule COVID-19 testing?
- Boston-based faculty, staff, and students should use the COVID-19 Test Scheduler.